Description/What is it?

Do you need to order a new phone, new phone line or repairs to a phone? Do you have questions regarding your long distance billing? Questions regarding long distance or International calling?


Who can request this?

Only users with VeraSMART provisioning and budget authority are allowed to submit this request. 


Would you like some self help with this topic?

There may be some knowledge base articles to the right with some helpful information.


How to request this service?

This service is requested through VeraSMART. Requests can be made by clicking the "Log-in to VeraSMART" to the right.

Login to VeraSMART

Related Articles (12)

How to Access voicemail from off Campus
How to adjust the volume of a 3900 series phone.
Adjusting the volume on your 1140 IP phone.
How to schedule the CWU Conference Bridge
Setting up and initializing your new CallXpress Mailbox
A quick guide on making calls outside of CWU campus.
How to make Long Distance calls from a CWU provided telephone
All directory changes (name, title, department or otherwise) must go through the registrars office for students, or through HR for faculty and staff. Directory data is imported from those sources nightly, and all updates must be made in PeopleSoft, not in Active Directory.
How to submit a Telecom work order or repair ticket
How to transfer a call from a campus phone.
Types of voicemail boxes provided by CWU Telephone service
Employees of Central Washington University are now able to update their phone number through MyCWU.


Service ID: 4683
Mon 6/30/14 1:06 PM
Tue 4/12/22 8:53 AM